bicyclist riding bike

Land and Water Conservation Fund

LWCF Background

The Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF) is a state and federal partnership program for the state. It is a community outdoor recreation development and open space preservation.The state’s responsibilities include: designating a State Liaison Officer and Alternate by the Governor, develop a Statewide Comprehensive Outdoor Recreation Plan (SCORP), and designate a contact between the sub grantees and the National Park Service (NPS). The state must also; review grant applications and make recommendations to the NPS, oversee the progress and financial aspects of the grant projects, and a post complete inspection of past LWCF projects (each site must be inspected every five years).

Benefits of the LWCF Program

The program provides matching grants to states for planning, acquisition, and development of state and local parks. Property acquired or developed with assistance under the LWCF Act shall remain as public outdoor recreation in perpetuity unless approved by the Secretary of the United States Department of Interior.

LWCF Program Funding

The amount of LWCF funding awarded to West Virginia annually varies depending on appropriations by the United States Congress.

West Virginia’s total annual LWCF allocation has been approximately $400,000 to $1 million between the years 2010 and 2016 with an average of $520,000.

Sources of Funding

Federal Award Agency – U.S. Department of Interior, National Park Service State and Local Assistance
CFDA Number and Name – 15.916 – Land and Water Conservation Fund

Funding Cycle

LWCF grants are usually awarded every year, however, the time when those funds are available are fully dependent on the U.S. Congress and the U.S. Department of Interior.

Authorizing Legislation and Statue

  • Public Law 113-287, 200301-200310 (National Park Service and Related Programs)
  • Title 54 U.S. Code 2003 (Land and Water Conservation Fund)

Eligible Applicants for LWCF Grants

LWCF grants are available on a competitive application to the state agencies, political subdivisions of the state, and independent park board.